At Digital Phone Company we believe the best way to give feedback on handsets and features is by gathering it from ACTUAL users of them
rather than just using it for a few days. Our next App review is Airdroid For Android
. This handset has been reviewed by one of our own staff....
I discovered this whilst having a browse of Google Play, which is the new moniker for the Android App Market. The blurb for the app says “AirDroid is a fast, free app that lets you wirelessly manage your Android from your favourite browser.” So I downloaded it after seeing the reviews (it has an average rating of 4.8 out of 5) and I have to say I’m amazed!
The app allows you to do 90% of what you do on your phone; on your desktop PC or laptop, via your web browser. All you need to do is connect your handset to Wi-Fi and make sure your PC is on the same network, which for most home users it will be. You simply go to http://web.airdroid.com
and scan the QR code that appears with your phone’s camera.
AirDroid offers the following:
Files - Transfer files between Android devices and computers. Now with drag & drop support. Cut, copy, paste, search, rename or delete files on the SD card.
- SMS - Receive, send, forward or delete SMS messages
- Apps - Install, uninstall, backup, search apps and do batch processing
- Photos - Preview, delete, upload, download, set as wallpaper and photos slide show from desktop
- Clipboard - Share clipboard text between desktop and device
- Contacts - Group, search, create contacts, check and delete call logs
- Ringtones - Search, preview, upload, download, delete and customize ringtones for phone calls, notifications and alarms
- Music - Play, search, upload, download, delete, or set as phone call, notification and alarm ringtones.
It’s great if you work on a PC all day, as you can see what’s happening on your phone without having to look at it!
I’ve been using now for a couple of days, and the only issue I have is that it doesn’t inform you when your phone is ringing, so you’ll have to have it within arm’s reach if you get lots of calls, however, for file transfer, messaging and app management it’s flawless!
Richard Goreham - IT Support